Sunday, October 18, 2015

Eighth Annual Indian Summer in Levoča 2015

I've been remiss in posting to my blog, but I'm glad that this 100th post to Robins Great Adventure is of my trip to the Indian Summer in Levoča Festival.

Me at Kaštieí Péchy
photo by Eadaoin Flynn

Once again I was amazed by the unique and intriguing musical compositions and festival expertise of David and Nadia Conway. They are such a treasure, not only as friends, but to the classical musician community.

Keith & Jenny Page
Photo by Eadaoin Flynn
Catching up with old friends, Keith and Jenny Page and meeting new ones, Larry and Liz (from Scotland) and of course, Steve Elcock and his family (80+ year-old-mum) reminds me of why I love coming to Levoča. I missed 2014 in person, so thank goodness for Facebook!

Jenny & Steve's Mum (she was amazing!)
Photo by Eadaoin Flynn


There were so many highlights to the trip, the Steve Elcock: The Cage of Opprobrium (world premiere) performed by the Czech Philharmonic Quartet was masterful. Well done Steve! A very powerful piece dedicated to the 16th century women who were punished for just being out on their own after dark, by being put in the town square cage for everyone to mocked and throw things at, to be shamed for just being women really. 

And...of course, my favorite bit of the festival is the Saturday afternoon performance at Kaštieľ Péchy, Hermanovce, home to a baroness (Kai is what we call her), about 45 minutes from Levoca on a series of bends that rivals traveling over the Rocky Mountains. The Kaštieľ has been renovated by Kai with impeccable taste. David and Nadia always place a very unusual musical offering at the Kaštieľ and this year didn't disappoint.

Lotz Trio
(Robert Šebesta (left), Sylvester Perschler (center) & Ronald Šebesta (right) Bassethorns
The Lotz Trio from Slovakia; played unique bassethorns. The repertory was created by original music informed by Mozart, with selections from The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni. A treat that very few people have seen or are likely to see.

Of course the rest of the festival was equally enjoyable with special dinners and drink.

Sadly I missed Jonathan Powell's performance on Sunday because I had to return to work Monday morning. I'm bound and determined to stay for the full festival!

Kaštieí Péchy renovation photos:
Oriental Room
Sauna in the Bridal Suite

Grand Salon


And...because I can't get enough of Levoča...here are a few more pics I thought I'd throw into the mix. Love this place!!






















From the Master Pavol Museum...



No comments:

Post a Comment