Saturday, September 2, 2017

Martha's Vineyard...Celebrating the Last Days of Summer

Hyannis Port Harbor 
Getting in the last bit of travel of the summer, I went to Hyannis and took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. I've spent the summer taking trips all along the New England Coast and this was the last place I hadn't seen yet on the Cape. 

Prior to setting out on the ferry to the Vineyard, I saw that the JFK Memorial was only about 1/2 mile from Hyannis Port harbor.







JFK Memorial with a waterfall
An easy walk to a quiet, peaceful place, the memorial sits right on the water. There is a Korean War Memorial right beside the JFK Memorial. The grounds are surrounded by manicured flowers, green grass and waterfall overlooking the Hyannis Port Marina filled with sailboats and mansions.














Martha's Vineyard

The Vineyard is really several cities; Oak Bluffs, Tisbury (Vineyard Haven), Edgartown, Menemsha, Chilmark, & Aquinnah. The ferry arrived in Oak Bluffs one of the main cities best known for its "gingerbread houses". Two and-a-half miles each way are the towns of Vineyard Haven and Edgartown. 

Each has its own unique vibe and specialty. I was only able to see Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven and Edgartown.




Oak Bluffs is really a lovely little town with a large harbor and restaurants. If you love seafood, this is the place for you. I've never seen so many bistro's, all Al Fresco, of course.

I sat at an outside bar along the dock and have a good Caesar salad with shrimp. Bring you $$$ because the eateries are costly. I got two shrimp for $8 on a small Caesar salad for $12.


Oak Bluffs Park




I decided not to take the island tour ($45), and instead took the local bus. An all day ticket is only $8. With traffic it takes about 30 minutes to get to and from each city, but with traffic it can take up to 1 hour.







Edgartown has a completely different setting from Oak Bluffs. Full of beaches and quaint houses, it is very pretty and peaceful. The streets weave in an out of green lakes and ponds, with houses and white picket fences.











Vineyard Haven Harbor
Vineyard Haven is chock full of art houses and galleries. The harbor works its way around from east to west. Intermixed with the shops are coffee shops, ice creameries and bistros. I realized I could probably have walked there from Oak Bluffs. It is about 2.5 miles.

I did think about renting a bike, but there are only a few pathways and the roads are narrow, so I didn't want to chance it. There are places to rent little fiats if driving around in traffic is your thing (it's not mine).



I'll have to come back to the island and stay (once I've saved up) but it is pricey at around $400 a night. Nantucket is more intimate and smaller so it was easier to do in a day. Everyone has told me September is a great time to visit. Next year!

Sunset on Hyannis Port















No comments:

Post a Comment