Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey


One of the great things about going home for a family event, is to try something you've never experienced before.

After a wonderful few days with my family celebrating my nephew William's high school graduation from Fountain Valley School south of Colorado Springs, I had a couple of days with a good friend.

Kathleen and I have known each other for over 20 years. We had been colleagues and immediately became friends. We've both had many life experiences together, and know each other pretty well.

When Kathleen mentioned a wine tour in Colorado, I was surprised. I've been on several wine tastings and tours in the U.S. and abroad, but never in Colorado, my home State.

Kathleen had been to The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey before and thought I would welcome the idea of a wine tasting (like I said, she knows me well).

The abbey is about 40 minutes south of Colorado Springs in Canon City (also home to Super Max the federal prison). The wine is created by the Benedictine Fathers that live at the Abbey. The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey is flanked by The Wet Mountains and although Canon City isn't a hot bed of activity, there is a Harvest Festival in September that might be fun to check out.

It was a pretty day and as we rounded the parking lot we see the wine fields and a Fallen Soldier monument. It was a stunning monument, but I have no idea why it would be outside the tasting room near the bathrooms. Odd!

Anyway the tasting room is small but packed with great gifts and takeaways from your visit. You get free sips of about 10 wines from wine, to rose to full-body reds. I'm a red fan and was completely taken with the reserve wine (this one does cost $1 for a taste), Revelations. 


Although $50, I had to buy it. It was a good idea as that even Kathleen fixed steak and this wine was perfect with a steak. The wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. 

What a wonderful surprise it was to find something new I had not known about in Colorado. I didn't think that was possible.







For viewing pleasure, I'm including some family photos of the weekend! Congrats to William Eustace.


Kelly (mom), William (the Grad) and Sarah (sister)

My mom (Rickey) aged 95!


No comments:

Post a Comment