Monday, October 1, 2012

Music...the International Language

Levoca Town Hall


Indian Summer in Levoca Festival


Many of you may have read my post Levoca, the Gem of Slovakia.  I mentioned meeting a wonderful couple, David and Nadia Conway and spoke about their Indian Summer in Levoca Festival.  

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the festival because of my teaching schedule in Trencin, but as it turned out I was able to attend two of the six day festival performances. I must say, I am truly disappointed I wasn't able to hear more of the incredible and truly International musical events.
Nadia, chairperson of the Levotske Babie Leto, and David Conway hosted several of the musicians in their lovely home and I was able to spend an hour with a few of them after one of the performance. We dined at a local restaurant and shared drink, food and interesting stories. I loved every minute of it.

The first performance I attended was at Pechy Castle, owned by Klara Szakall von Losoncz, and boasts three English style parks, hunting lodge and a currently under restoration castle. Klara has been restoring the castle and it's environs since it was returned to her family after the fall of communism. 

The concert, brilliantly performed by the Haydn Baryton Trio Budapest, was outside the castle with the sun shinning, birds singing and of course, the occasional dog barking.  It was really magical. Unfortunately I forgot my camera.  I'm hoping for some pics from Keith Page, a professional photographer and personal friend of the Conway's.  For now, you'll have to do with my poor expression of the setting.  The castle, overlooks the village of Hermanovce about 45K from Kosice, the second largest city in Slovakia. Standing on the high ground view of the village with the sun setting on the falling leaves among the forest was quite surreal.

Saturday evening the performances were back in town at the local theatre.  Patrons were treated to Stamic Quartet with a special guest performance by Internationally known cellist Jozef Luptak. Coming from a rocker like myself you might not think I would really find this type of music satisfying, but it blew me away.  Let's face it, any time you can hear Mozart played with vigor and zest, it is a good day.

In addition, the great musicians and performances over the festival playing through October 3, are part of the Daniel Pearl Music Days dedicating concerts to the shared belief that what ever our backgrounds, music can help us create a better world.  Concerts from all over the world will participate in his honor to use music as an expression of respect for all people, much as he did in his work and music when he was alive.

StreamRoller at the Blue Note


After my jam packed Saturday in Levoca, I headed back to Trencin for a Sunday evening performance by Doug Aldrich and his band SteamRoller at the Blue Note in Nove Mesto nad Vahom.  Doug Aldrich was a guitarist for Whitesnake and has formed a new band, SteamRoller.  Obviously a completely different sound and experience, but that is what I love about music.  No matter where you are or who you are listening to, music can touch your personally.  Doug and the band were great and I'm so excited I was able to see them in such a personal and intimate setting. 

Doug riffing with SteamRoller at the Blue Note

The settings were up-close-and-personal, something you really don't get in the U.S.A. Of all the experiences I've had in Slovakia I have to say music has been the real treat. Completely different venues and genres, but all talented musicians that love their craft and put their soul into every note and song.
  












No comments:

Post a Comment