Friday, April 20, 2018

Charleston, the Best of the Low Country

St. Philips Church
When my friend Kathleen and I decided to take a trip together, I was excited to see how I would do traveling with someone else. All my trips have been solo. We decided on Charleston, mainly because of I've never been, and Kathleen was excited to get back to the South. She had visited Charleston several times because he first husband (who unfortunately passed away many years ago) was from South Carolina. Both he and her son, attended the Citadel so she was very familiar with the area.

The winter in New England has been particularly harsh this year and the warm weather as well as the charming hospitality of Charleston was a treat!

One of the oldest cities in the United States, Charleston has a rich history (good and bad). 





Magnolia Plantation
Kathleen wanted to go to the largest plantation in the area, Magnolia. At first I wasn't sure because seeing a house and gardens, however beautiful, built by slaves, really wasn't something I wanted to support.

It was however, amazingly beautiful and the historical tour was very informative.  The gardens are spectacular and I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to see them. Without Kathleen, I probably wouldn't have seen something like this. 



























Another unexpected site that normally would not be on my list, was the Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. Kathleen had made a donation to the alumni association for a brick in the new alumni center in honor of her husband, Richard. We couldn't see it at the time we were there, but she was able to see it on her way out of town. I'm very happy she had the opportunity. 

The grounds are very impressive. We weren't able to see the parade which takes place every Friday. But if I go back again I will definitely stop to see it. The Citadel is only a few miles outside of Charleston so it was worth the visit.


Fountain in French Quarter at the Wharf

Meeting Street Inn
The second day of our trip, we stayed in the old part of town at a lovely inn, Meeting Street. It is pretty much in the center of everything and walking distance to museums, art galleries, the French Quarter and wharf and of course, shopping. We took a "buggy" ride with tour guide around the city. I do love history!!! Also, well worth the time.

Next to history, architecture is my favorite past time in all my travels. A port city, Charleston, next to Boston and New York, is where it was all happening in the beginning before Independence. Mainly Europeans settled the city and due to the religious freedom, there are churches on every street corner, from every denomination.

Now, let's get to the good stuff, food...The Low Country food selection; shrimp and grits (Cajun style of course), she crab soup and hush puppies...yummy!  Our guest host at the Meeting Street Inn told us about the Low Country Bistro and Kathleen's son gave us the next place not to be missed, Hyman's Seafood, only a few blocks down from the hotel. One night we had drinks and apps at the Rooftop at Vendue (meaning vendor) in the French Quarter.  Let's just say we ate and drank well.

Although I don't think I could travel with many people, I loved my vacation to Charleston with my guide, Kathleen. We both had a wonderful time and have lovely memories that will last 'till the end of our days.

Here's some photos to share. Nothing beats Charleston architecture!




Circular Church Original Meeting Place for non-denominational church goers

Oldest house in Charleston

Rainbow Row

Rooftop Bar at Vendue



St. Michaels Church


French Quarter Tree Lined Walkway

Enjoy my swing time video with Kathleen on the Charleston Wharf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8mvVM1Nv0&feature=youtu.be


No comments:

Post a Comment