Sunday, November 11, 2018

London the City of Bridges

Tower Bridge
Many think London is filled with lovely gardens and parks, and it is, but from my short trip staying in the West part of the city all I could see are bridges. Within in about 30 minutes radius there are about 8 bridges across the Thames; Tower, London, Southwerk, Millennial, Blackfriar, Waterloo, Hungerford, and Westminster. I walked across five of the eight.

Several years ago I toured the Tower of London, on this trip I walked across the bridge and around the Tower.





From the Globe it is a short walk along the South Bank to Waterloo and Westminster.  The Abbey is somewhat under construction as it Big Ben. From four visits to London, I don't think I've ever seen Westminster Abbey and/or Parliament when it wasn't under some sort of construction or cleaning, still it is quite impressive.









Right across the Thames is the London Eye. Unfortunately it wasn't very nice weather when I went to the Eye but I decided to buy a ticket and take the trip up over the Thames. It was still beautiful to see the city in a typical London Fog.

Here are some more photos of London.


View of the Millennial Bridge from the Top of the Tate
After visiting St. Paul's Cathedral I walked across the Millennial Bridge leading to the Tate Modern. The Museum is free and I stayed about two hours and then had lunch at cafe on the top floor.


St. Paul's Cathedral


Other London Sites

Globe Theatre
From the Tate I ventured to the Globe Theatre and booked a play for the afternoon. The open air theatre in the round. I saw a new play, Eyam, about a small village in England that lost over 200 people (out of 320+) during the plague. The ticket was only £20 and I couldn't have had a more beautiful day for an afternoon play.



221 B Street (Sherlock)

Southwerk Monument



National Gallery








No comments:

Post a Comment