Monday, September 10, 2012

Living Abroad, How to Make it Work


I thought I was so prepared for living abroad, and so excited to hear from a school in Europe regarding my CV, that I really didn't do my due diligence as I should have in checking out the school, city and all the details. 

Slovakia is a lovely country with mountains and valley, open spaces and little villages dotting the countryside. The town I live in, Trencin, is historical and quaint. I don't consider my move to teach English in Slovakia a mistake by any means, but there are some helpful tips I would like to give those seeking to teach outside their native country.

View of Trencin Castle from the village below
Working Visa

First and foremost find out the work visa process for the country you are moving to.  Country work processes vary and although I had done some checking on an FBI report, finger prints, etc., there are other aspects you should try to learn about beforehand.  

For instance, I knew it would take time to apply for an FBI check and the fingerprinting (I mentioned in a previous post), but what I didn't realize would be the time it takes once you are in the country.  It has been almost eight weeks since I arrived in Slovakia and met with the foreign police (with my boss) and I still don't have my work permit.  Once you are in a country for 90 days, you will need to leave the country and start the process again.  Obtaining a work visa is the most critical process to working in another country.  In Europe it can be difficult because of the European Union.  Many schools, both private and public, need to try and hire Europe Native English speakers first before U.S. or Canadian citizens. I hoping I'm almost through the process and will have a work permit card in the next week or so.

Health Insurance
My school said they will provide the health insurance.  What this means is they will pay for the "check up" at a foreign medical center for the work visa. The reason I put "check up" in quotes, is it really isn't an examination. My male boss took me to a clinic over an hour away from Trencin and the facility was extremely dirty and in Slovakia there isn't a sense of privacy so you will need to prepare yourself.  Most likely there will not be anyone that speaks English. Healthcare in Europe is Universal, so the school isn't paying for your healthcare.  They are only paying for the lab work to obtain the visa.  Healthcare is paid by the government. 

Language
As you might imagine from the two above topics, speaking the language becomes very important.  Most applications will state that it is not necessary for the teacher to speak the country language, but in fact, it will help to have a basic knowledge so you can ask questions and understand the answers.  I don't speak Slovak so it has been a real challenge for me.  There isn't an expat community in Trencin and only one other English speaking teacher at the school. I'm starting to pick up the language slowly but if you want to order a meal in a restaurant, buy a train/bus ticket or of course, speak to a physician, or foreign police it is essential. 

Accommodations
If your school states they will supply accommodations plus pay, make sure you understand what the accommodation looks like and how much the school is paying for the flat.  My accommodations are quite honestly pretty bad.  Many teachers have lived in the flat and it hasn't been cleaned, painted, has old used mattresses, a stove that doesn't work, etc.  Have the school send you picture’s of the unit before you decide and ask them how much they pay monthly for the unit and what the cost includes.  Then, check out for yourself what the cost is for flats in the town. Also find out if you will need to bring towels, linens, and other types of those items before you leave. 

Pay
When a school states they will provide accommodations and pay you a certain amount of money, don't take their word for it that it is "enough to live on".  I have found food may be less expensive in Slovakia but nothing else is.  Clothing, shoes, even tickets to the movie theatre are as expensive as in the U.S.  Therefore, the amount of money I am receiving is quite low, even compared to other school salaries.  Make sure you understand when you will be paid.  For example, I work for one month and on the first of the following month I will be paid half a month's salary.  In my case I will need to supplement my income by 100-200 Euros a month just to live, not for travel.

Working Hours

Make sure you understand how your schedule will be created and when you will be notified as to your classes, book curriculum, number of students and level of the students you will be teaching.  Research what the country dictates in relation to hours worked and time off.  Don't be taken advantage of because you are coming from another country.  Hold the owners of your school to country hourly pay and time off regulations. On most days I start at 7:30 a.m. and end around 7:00 p.m.  

The students are really amazing.  They want to learn, are open and participate.  The teaching varies from one-on-one to classes of six; from children aged 7-9, to teens and adults.

As I said when I started, moving to Slovakia has been a great experience. It is a beautiful country and I'm excited to see more of it and the surrounding environs.  

I hope these tips will be helpful for anyone thinking about living abroad.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or feedback through this blog.

Please feel free to check out my Facebook page for more photos.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. I found it very informative and helpful. You give some excellent advice that I will certainly use as a resource. I am moving abroad in a few months and am looking for a heavy equipment shipping company because I will need my car with me to make my transition to living in a foreign country as easy as possible.

    ReplyDelete