Saturday, November 17, 2012

Month of Photography in Bratislava, Slovakia


Photographic exhibits are more interesting to me than many other art forms.  Why I can't tell you except that I've loved looking at and taking photos since I was in my 20's.  I took photography classes after I graduated from University and would print my own photos at a local darkroom.  

When I realized the Month of Photography featuring Robert Capa was in Bratislava I had to brave the wind and cold to see the exhibit at the Slovak National Gallery.  The Slovak National Gallery is located on the Danube near Bratislava's old town.  As I walked down the stone streets I saw the city was readying for the Holiday season with many small kiosks soon to be filled with gifts, mulled wine and treats.  

Robert Capa is the famous war photojournalist and photographer who lived and worked during some of the most violent times in our history.  Born in Hungary in 1913 he moved to Berlin when he was 18. After Hitler came to power he fled to Paris and then to the U.S. where he eventually became as citizen.  

He is probably most famous for his "dying Spanish soldier" photograph taken during the Spanish Civil War (1937-39).  However, he was really in the trenches through many other wars in China, Germany during WWII and at the invasion at Omaha Beach in Normandy, with John Steinbeck after WWII in the Soviet Union and where he met his end stepping on a land mine to take a photograph in Vietnam during the First Indochina War in 1954.

It was well worth the trek to Bratislava to see these amazing photos.  The exhibit is on display until 25 November.

No comments:

Post a Comment