Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Markets in Vienna

Starting my holiday vacation in Vienna was the right course.  I had heard the Christmas Markets were amazing but I didn't realize how many there would be throughout the city.  Starting in Stephansdom surrounded by Christmas Tree stands, holiday shoppers and the smell of cinnamon and hot wine, I traveled around the Opernring past Burggarten to the Maria Teresa Monument and Maria Teresa Platz. The square was filled with people and lovely kiosks selling everything from food, wine, beer to Christmas ornaments and other trinkets.


Christmas Market at Rathauspark
The Christmas Market at Rathauspark is one of the largest in Vienna with rows and rows of Kiosks.  The market is situated across from Brugtheater and in front of Rathauspark town hall, the site of many events all year long.  The park is filled with monuments, fountains and extraordinary trees.



I understand there is a wonderful market (and much bigger) at Schloss Schonbrunn but I wasn't able to visit this market.  Maybe next year?

After a nice and stimulating dinner with my friend Maria Petrak and new friend Max Mairhofer, I went to the Magic Trumput Advent Concert.  It really wasn't what I expected.  The instruments and vocalist were behind the audience in the balcony of St Anne's church.  It was quite solemn and not at all happy and cheerful for Christmas.   

Now it is waiting for a flight out of Vienna to continue my trip to Brussels.  Look for most posts this holiday week and I hope you are enjoying this time of the season.




No comments:

Post a Comment