Sunday, November 17, 2013

Deň Otvorených Pivníc (Day of Open Cellars) 2013

Skypers crew waiting to start our first wine tasting experience
On a beautiful fall day, the Skypers Language School teachers, spouses and friends, traveled to the Modra and Pezinok regions of Slovakia for a day (and night) wine tasting extravaganza.


We started at Elesko winery and art gallery in Modra.  Elesko is one of the largest wineries in Slovakia and is very modern.  The premise of the winery is to offer good food, great wines and art combined for a complete cultural experience.  We had a private tour to see the Andy Warhol collection (which I loved) along with other Slovak and British artists.  





You can rent an apartment for 1000€ a night for you and nine other friends; including food and wine I suppose that isn't too bad for one evening. Elesko supplies many Vinotéka's in Slovakia.

From Elesko we traveled to the town of Modra and visited several wineries along the main square of the city. At Chateau Modra I purchased a lovely sparkling rose wine, Sekt Poiffy. It will be very nice in the spring or summer with a light meal. I also purchase a bottle of Tramin.  A fine, light white wine from Vinko Klimo Modra.  The owner was actually doing the pouring for the wine tasting. We stopped by Pereg, but frankly I am not a fan of their wines.  However, our French teacher, Elenka loves their blackberry wine and she and her husband picked up several bottles…after all Christmas is coming.

After Modra we made a quick stop to a Šenkvice winery, Karpatská Perla. Great choice because I bought a delicious full-bodied Pinot Noir. I also sampled a Pinot Gris that was nice and dry, not too sweet, but I didn't  make the purchase.  I had remorse afterwards but found out I can purchase the wine in Piešťany.  

It was off to Pezinok. Next to Modra, Pezinok is probably the best known wine area. I visited three wineries and had sushi (yea!) a real treat for me. I got separated from the group and missed the last winery were everyone raved about the wines.  Oh well, maybe next time. I did purchase an acceptable Dornfelder, for 5€. A bargain especially when you consider the tour gives you back 20€ as wine coupons, and a smooth, easy tasting Frankovka Modra at the Radničná Vinotéka. They had a steel tower you could climb to get a wonderful view of the vineyards and we saw a beautiful fall sunset.  The winery offered cakes and coffee to complete the wine experience.

Enjoying the view

Sunset over the vineyard and village

Our last stop was in the Svätý Jur region near Bratislava.  I sampled many wines at the 4 stops we made, but many of the wines were just too sweet for me.  One winery had the best atmosphere, Šulkova Pivnica. There was a well-kept garden with water features and manicured trees and bushes.  The cellar looked to have the original stone masonry, decorated with medieval type of characters and antique furniture. Too bad their wines weren't to my taste.

The wine tour or wine road as it is called in Slovakia, happens yearly.  If you're interested, check out the link below and happy drinking!











No comments:

Post a Comment