Sunday, July 29, 2012

Count is at 0...Great Adventure Underway

Johann Stauss statue
Stephansdom



The last week has been a whirl wind of experiences, food, culture and meeting old friends and new acquaintances. After about a 13 hour flight I landed in Vienna and immediately started out by visiting all the sites. The Hotel Papageno is in a perfect location and the staff was very friendly and helpful.  It was a great value with a full breakfast and afternoon strudel and coffee included in the daily room price.  The coffee and yogurt is the best I've ever had.  
On Wednesday morning I was fortunate to be able to meet up with a former colleague for breakfast.  It was terrific to catch up and since she's lived in Vienna for several years I was able to hear about her experiences and what it is like to actually live in the city.

Maria and Dr. Wil
On Wednesday evening I attended an InterNations organization expat event at a restaurant near Vienna University.  I was introduced to Dr Wil, former English administrator at Vienna University who introduced me to Maria a friend of his working at the UN in Vienna. 

Vienna is not too far so I'm hoping to attend more expat events in the city. 




Bratislava

Bratislava is a vibrant community of about 400,000 and the capital of Slovakia. The city straddles the River Danube and is only about an hour by train from Vienna. Bratislava has been the home of several royals since 13th century. 

Many Slovaks speak English especially in the old town area and there are several English pubs in the tourist areas.  Apparently many Brits come to Bratislava for the weekend to party. 
Someone told me that Slovakia is a bit quirky. Certainly there are still remnants from the old regime and today's more modern attitudes. I'll be in Trencin soon and learning my new neighborhood and work environment.  

If you'd like to come along with me on this journey please subscribe to my blog by clicking on the "Subscribe" button in the left nav bar.

Dovidenia

No comments:

Post a Comment